Oct 8, 2011

It's kind of a funny story...


I changed my major today.  And my life.

It’s kind of a funny story.

Being a sophomore at school, almost everyone around me knows what they’re doing.  They have a major and a plan and they’re already going after it.  It’s kind of intimidating, especially for little Elsa who does not know what she will do. 

It’s been a bit of an adventure.  Originally, I was a sociology major. Wherever that gets you.  So I thought about changing to Psychology.  I like listening to people. I like talking to people.  It was pretty great in my mind, but I could never get myself to actually change it.  And then I thought about International Studies.  I do love traveling and I would love to travel for my job.  But it never felt right either.  You have to know that I am someone who firmly believes only in doing something if it feels right. I pray about it and think about it.  And oddly enough, I just forgot about the whole issue. 

I’m currently taking a photography class. It’s just for fun.  We were assigned photographers to learn about.  Irene Abdou. She does photography for humanitarian groups.  I thought, whoa that would be awesome.  Then I had to do a paper on photojournalism for another class and I loved it.  I loved everything it was about.  So I checked it out online.  And I researched what classes to take. I figured out my major and my minor.  So I went to talk to a counselor and just like that, my major was changed.  It was like watching dominoes tumble.  

I am so glad that I know what I'm doing now.  It's crystal clear.  I may not be a stellar photographer (hey I'm still learning!), but I know its something I can really work on and become good at.  Everything that never made sense before, now makes sense now.  And I love that it does.  

It was a good day. 


1 comment: