Jul 14, 2013

This day deserves a story. Hamburg.

And I hope that at least a few of you stick around to read it.
Because this was a day that was altering and beautiful to me 
and I wish to share that with those that will listen.










this much i had always known of my family before me:
they were full blooded german (on my grandmother's side)
her father (my great grandfather Karl) had been involved in the wrong efforts by accident 
during WWII and was captured by Nazis, 
and eventually the entire family immigrated to America to stay.
I ama named after Karl's wife, my great grandma Elsa,
and that has always been of at least a small significance to me.
as i have grown older and learned more, i've had specific and spiritual moments 
in which i have felt my grandma Elsa.
and this day in particular is one in which i learned the great importance of her 
and my special responsibility of the name that i hold that is hers.

the purpose of this entire trip was to take my father's parents back 
to the countries that they had come from.
my grandpa to denmark, and my grandma to germany. 
neither had been and it was a big ordeal that almost all 
of their children and some of their grandchildren joined in on
and i heard of stories of my ancestors that i had never heard before.
this is as much as i know.

my great grandpa had worked in the government at the time of hitler's take over
and did not like the direction that he was taking the country in.
while he resisted, he was found and taken to a concentration camp.
he escaped and spent several months on the run.
i'm unsure as to the timing of the events, but i know that Elsa was left to her own with her children.
Hamburg was put under massive bombings because of its status as a port town,
and because of that the women and children were evacuated to live 
in an evacuated work camp on the outskirts of the city.
It was there that Elsa gave birth to my grandma during the middle of an air raid, in a bomb shelter.

there were so many stories, but the message was still the same to me.
they greatly sacrificed so that we could be here today.
so that i could carry a message as a namesake.
we spent that day trying to find where the work camp had been that my grandma was born in.
while it was a bit of a goose chase, we were surrounded and helped 
by the most wonderful germans that were so pleased to have been a part of it.
we finally found the street next to that which the camp had been
and a sweet old german man told us that he had lived there his whole life
 and we were in the right place.
with a few of the old bunkers left, we knew it too.
it was an incredible experience, and one that i am quite proud to have been a part of.
we spent the rest of the day at the harbor and saw in person 
what we had seen in paintings of my great grandfather so many times.
i was grateful for that day and the lesson it gave me of family and heritage
and of the strong witness of the importance of my name
and the person that bore it.

my great grandparents, grandmother, and great uncle in Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment