Nov 19, 2013

african stories.

i had never been somewhere that was far worse than i had imagined. but here i was, and it was staring me in the face. i had been to a third world country before, and for some reason i had thought that this gave me an advantage, but i was not off to a good start. it may have been the 27 hours of straight travel or it may have been the bed i had slept on that looked like it was covered in diseases, but either way, starting off my first full day in africa was not as easy as i had thought it might be. we were told several times that today we would be in the poorest of the poor, and all that experience i had mentioned before left me to think that it would not be much harder than what i had experienced. but the barren dirt land that was inhabited by far too many shelters, that could hardly be considered homes because they were made of garbage bags with sticks for framing, left me with a feeling i still can't describe. i could not process what was in front of me.  i did not know how i would face the day. i didn't know how i would make it and let alone smile, and i instantly wanted to go home. but i was the first seat on the bus. the one they were all waiting for to get off first, to lead the way through what was just as terrifying to them. i pulled my sunglasses down, and walked out into the sun with the most sincere prayer in my heart. and the biggest blessing i could have ever asked for followed. the instant my foot hit that ground, i was fine. i was more than fine. i was the most kind and outreaching i had ever been in my life. and that was when i knew i wanted to always do this. i wanted to always travel, no matter where in the world it may be. because it was a gift to be there and i left more blessed than those that i was intending to bless.

i know i always post this picture, but it was my moment and i love that it was captured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment