May 13, 2013

What Downton Abbey Taught Me


Ah the marvelous world of Downton Abbey.  While it helps me through the dating dry spells with its wonderful romance and drama, it also leaves me with a want for dignity, refinement, and an amusingly uptight butler like Mr. Carson. It leaves me thinking my thoughts in a British accent, wishing I had a reason to dress up for dinner nightly, and finding myself frequently asking myself, "What would Lady Mary do?" Amongst all the things I have learned from network television I would have to say that the most of what I have learned can be derived in a few simple lines...

Sisters play mean games, but i guess all is fair in love and war...? I'm never really quite sure on that one, but all I'm saying is I would never want to have a sister with a match for rivalry like those Crawley girls.

There really are attractive blonde haired blue eyed men out there and his name is Matthew Crawley. Nuff said.

When in doubt, pinkies out. Their ability to keep poise and grace through periods of trial astounds me. There is no greater show than the one they put on and I don't mean that in a bad way-think happy, be happy, right?

Wearing your best outfit and taking time to get ready should always be of utmost importance.  Maybe I just like dressing for an office job or dinner in the city on a regular basis, but come on, don't you think it'd be fun?

"Don't be so defeatist dear, its middle class." Listen to Granny. She has the wittiest lines.

Conniving scheming friendships are toxic. Really though. Did anything good ever come from that slimy wimpy Thomas and the man faced O'Brien?

And above all else, wait for that Matthew. You'll find him eventually. (But my goodness, let's hope things don't end the same way they did for him).

1 comment:

  1. I think "when in doubt pinkies out" should be your camp sub-theme for this year.

    ReplyDelete